Spring Gardening Planner
Do these tasks during spring and caring for your garden will be easier, quicker and more satisfying.
- Cut back ornamental grasses, prairie-style borders and autumn-flowering perennials.
- Prepare beds and borders for planting; weed and dig over the soil; add organic matter where appropriate.
- Prune late-flowering shrubs, early summer-flowering clematis and roses.
- Cut lavender hedges back.
- Apply a granular fertilizer around shrubs, trees and perennials.
- Sow half-hardy annuals indoors.
- Pot up plug plants indoors.
- Lift and divide established clumps of perennials.
- Plant hardy grasses.
- Regularly deadhead spring-flowering bulbs and bedding plants.
- Repot Christmas trees.
- Plant perennials, summer-flowering bulbs and pond plants.
- Inside, plant Thai herbs.
- Plant indoor hanging basket.
- Sow hardy annuals directly outdoors; sow tender annuals indoors.
- Sow vegetables and plant potatoes.
- Sow a wildflower meadow.
- Mulch the soil.
- Start weeding.
- Prune early-flowering shrubs and early clematis after flowering.
- Stake herbaceous perennials.
- Start mowing the lawn.
Any Time of Year
- Make a compost bin; fill, turn and empty when necessary.
- Make a wooden obelisk.
- Create a bog garden.
- Dig out a pond.
- Make a border and lawn edge.
- Make a rose arch.
- Check tree ties and loosen if necessary.
- Look out for pests and diseases, and take appropriate action.
- Cut out dead or diseased wood.
- Clean all cutting tools after use to prevent spreading plant diseases.
Time to spruce up your garden and take care of these fall gardening chores to help make next growing season a bit easier.
Follow this handy checklist and caring for your garden will be easier, quicker and more satisfying.
Consult this handy checklist for wintertime care and maintenance of your garden.
This garden design plan provides an ever-changing collage of bold, vibrant hues in foliage and flowers throughout the year.
A collection of perennials, blooming shrubs and vines provide color thorughout the season in this beautiful garden design.
Use this landscape plan to create a beautiful garden room alive with color throughout the seasons.
Use this landscape design plan to create a garden that's full of color and interest throughout the seasons.
A vine-draped arbor and multi-seasonal color spotlight this garden room.
Create a kaleidoscope of color in your garden throughout the seasons with this easy-to-follow landscape plan.
Imagine relaxing in your backyard amid the blooms of fringe tree, variegated abelia, and other colorful perennials and shrubs. Here's a plan that provides color throughout the seasons.