Spring Gardening Planner
Do these tasks during spring and caring for your garden will be easier, quicker and more satisfying.
- Cut back ornamental grasses, prairie-style borders and autumn-flowering perennials.
- Prepare beds and borders for planting; weed and dig over the soil; add organic matter where appropriate.
- Prune late-flowering shrubs, early summer-flowering clematis and roses.
- Cut lavender hedges back.
- Apply a granular fertilizer around shrubs, trees and perennials.
- Sow half-hardy annuals indoors.
- Pot up plug plants indoors.
- Lift and divide established clumps of perennials.
- Plant hardy grasses.
- Regularly deadhead spring-flowering bulbs and bedding plants.
- Repot Christmas trees.
- Plant perennials, summer-flowering bulbs and pond plants.
- Inside, plant Thai herbs.
- Plant indoor hanging basket.
- Sow hardy annuals directly outdoors; sow tender annuals indoors.
- Sow vegetables and plant potatoes.
- Sow a wildflower meadow.
- Mulch the soil.
- Start weeding.
- Prune early-flowering shrubs and early clematis after flowering.
- Stake herbaceous perennials.
- Start mowing the lawn.
Any Time of Year
- Make a compost bin; fill, turn and empty when necessary.
- Make a wooden obelisk.
- Create a bog garden.
- Dig out a pond.
- Make a border and lawn edge.
- Make a rose arch.
- Check tree ties and loosen if necessary.
- Look out for pests and diseases, and take appropriate action.
- Cut out dead or diseased wood.
- Clean all cutting tools after use to prevent spreading plant diseases.
Consult this handy checklist for wintertime care and maintenance of your garden.
Follow this handy checklist and caring for your garden will be easier, quicker and more satisfying.
Time to spruce up your garden and take care of these fall gardening chores to help make next growing season a bit easier.
Now is the perfect time to try these easy tidying tips in your garden.
On your mark, get set, garden!
Try one of these drool-worthy plant introductions in your garden next season.
Eager to get outside? Check out these early spring gardening chores that you can start now.
Get a head start on spring planting with this DIY cold frame.
Reduce your symptoms with these tips.
Check out these trending products and must-have tools to nurture your budding interest in gardening.