David Bromstad's Whipped Potatoes Recipe
I put my own twist on whipped potatoes—and hit the Yukon Gold jackpot. Hello, new tradition!David Bromstad, HGTV Dream Home 2016
Time: 35 min | Serves: 8
3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 slices bacon
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup half-and-half
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 1/2 ounces shallot-and-chive cheese spread (such as Boursin)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
1. Place the potatoes in a large pot, and cover with water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then cook until very tender, 18 to 20 minutes.
2. Fry the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels, then crumble.
3. Melt the butter in a small pot over low heat, and keep warm.
4. Drain the potatoes and pass them through a potato ricer and into a large bowl (or beat with a mixer on low speed, but do not overmix). Add the melted butter, salt, pepper, half-and-half, sour cream, and cheese spread. Stir until just combined.
5. Transfer the whipped potatoes to a serving dish. Top with the crumbled bacon and chives.