Orange and Pepita Granola Recipe
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- zest from 2 navel oranges
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch ground cardamom (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, stir together wet ingredients.
3. In a large bowl, toss together dry ingredients.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry and fold well.
5. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (or just one — you can split the batch, baking one half at a time).
6. Bake the granola for 20 to 25 minutes. Granola should look slightly browned and toasted.
7. Remove from oven and repeat if you're splitting the batch. Granola will harden as it cools.
Baking + Serving Tips
Don't overcrowd your baking sheet; you want granola evenly spread across the sheet about 1/4-inch tall. Overcrowding leads to uneven toasting. If you bake and the edges of granola are browned but the center is not, you may have overcrowded the pan. Simply remove the toasted granola, spread the untoasted around the pan, and bake longer.
I made a version of this granola to serve the art campers at Camp Wandawega in Wisconsin one summer and added 2 teaspoons of orange blossom water to the wet ingredients before baking. I highly recommend it if you can find some.
Serve over vanilla bean ice cream, chia pudding or with homemade non-dairy milk.