How to Make Nested Origami Boxes
Materials and Tools:
Perfect Ink Refresher
Perfect Pearls: kiwi, gold, turquoise, berry twist, rust
Perfect Medium: clear
Ice Stickles glitter glue: crystal
3 sheets 12" x 12" black card stock
3 sheets 12" x 12" card stock for box bottoms: blue, rose, apple green
fine-mist spray bottle
4 decorative 18" ribbons
1. To make the Northern Lights paper: Squirt the black paper with Perfect Ink Refresher and lightly rub the oils into the paper with a cosmetic sponge.
2. Mix four or five Perfect Pearls colors with water to form a creamy paint.
3. Quickly paint some uneven stripes of color over the page and spritz with water. Be generous with the water, then manipulate the page and watch the paints run and blend.
4. When the colors have settled to where you like them, allow to completely dry and then press flat with a hot iron.
5. To make textured stone paper: Do steps 1 to 3 of the Northern Lights process above, and while the paper is quite wet, crumble a paper towel and lightly tap the "furrows and veins" out of the paint. Allow to completely dry and press flat.
6. To make glitter paper: Do steps 1 to 4 of the Northern Lights process. Then squirt Ice Stickles glitter glue over the paper and buff the glue over the surface with a paper towel. Allow to dry.
7. Use these papers for the box tops of the three origami folded boxes. Folding instructions for the boxes are included in this downloadable, printable PDF. Follow the instructions to fold the boxes.
8. After making the boxes, cut two slits along the bottom side edges of the largest box. Insert the ribbon from the bottom into the inside. Do this to the middle box the same way.
9. Cut the slits on the smallest box, but insert this ribbon from the inside so it comes out on the outside bottom.
10. To stack: Put the smallest box together and tie the ribbon on the top.
11. Place this box inside the middle box, put the lid on the middle box and tie this box with the ribbon attached to the largest box.
12. Put the lid on the largest box. Make a card stock panel the same size as the largest box bottom and glue on the bottom, hiding the ribbon. Use one more ribbon to tie up the outer box.