How to Make a Wire Bookmark
Materials and Tools:
plastic-covered flat-nose pliers
1. Cut the 18-gauge wire 36 inches long with wire cutters. Slide the plastic-coated flat-nose pliers across the wire to eliminate any kinks. Make a small loop at the end of the wire and thread the wire through the lamp-work bead, threading the bottom of the bead first.
2. Wrap the wire halfway around the bead and thread the wire through the loop. Bend the wire to the left of the bead with flat-nose pliers.
3. Leave a ½-inch space and bend the wire to the left of the bead. Leave a ½-inch space and bend the wire again, forming a "V" shape. Repeat this step seven times around the bead, forming eight petals.
4. Wrap the wire two times around the loop made in step 1 and through the loop to form the flower.
5. Going down from the flower, leave a ¼-inch space and make random-sized "V" shapes, forming a zigzag pattern.
6. Leave a 2-inch space. Bend the wire at an upward angle and leave a ¾-inch space, and then bend it down and leave a 1-inch space, making a leaf shape.
7. Slightly bend the wire and leave a 1-inch space. Repeat step 6, going in the opposite direction.
8. Slightly bend the wire and leave a 1½-inch space.
9. Bend the wire with flat-nose pliers to a desired flowerpot shape in the same fashion as the leaves and the flower. Wrap the remaining wire up the stem. Cut any remaining wire once the wire wrap meets the stem.
10. Flatten the coils wrapped around the stem with the plastic-covered flat-nose pliers.