How to Make a Skiing Penguin Ornament
Materials and Tools:
recycled toilet paper roll
acrylic paint: black, yellow/orange, silver
Loew-Cornell American Painter #4300 shader 10 and 6 brushes
small wooden heart
card stock: black, red, white, yellow/orange
McGill giant heart punch #91200
red and black checked fabric
1" white pompom
Beacon Adhesive Kid's Choice Glue!
2 moveable 10mm eyes
2 craft sticks
cord or thread for hanger
1. With shader 10 brush, paint toilet paper roll with black paint. Let dry.
2. With shader 6, paint wooden heart (beak) with two coats of yellow/orange paint, letting paint dry between coats.
3. With shader 6, paint craft sticks (skis) with two coats of silver paint, letting paint dry between coats.
4. Trace patterns in the PDF Patterns file (below the image, above right) and cut out. Trace patterns onto card stock and cut out.
5. With heart punch, punch two hearts (feet) from yellow/orange card stock.
6. Cut a 3-1/2" x 6" piece of checked fabric for the hat. Cut a 7/8" x 13" piece of fabric with pinking shears for the scarf.
7. For the hat: Cut one long end of the hat fabric with pinking shears. With right sides facing, fold fabric in half with pinked edge at bottom (3" x 3-1/2"). Pin side seam and sew a 1/4-inch seam by hand. Sew a running stitch 1/4 inch from top. Do not knot end. Pull thread tightly to gather fabric. Knot end.
8. Turn fabric inside out. Fold back pinked edge to make a cuff. Glue pompom to top of hat. Let dry.
9. Put hat onto toilet paper roll and glue into place.
10. Glue eyes and beak onto toilet paper roll as seen in photograph. Let dry.
11. Glue mittens onto ends of wings. Let dry. Glue belly and wings onto penguin and let dry. Glue feet onto bottom of penguin. Let dry.
12. Wrap scarf around penguin's neck and tie into a knot as seen in photograph.
13. Glue penguin on top of skis and let dry.
14. Attach hanger as desired to use as an ornament.