How to Make a Robot T-Shirt
Materials and Tools:
lightweight ironing sheet
fabric: corduroy, heavy cotton, felt
1. Place a cotton T-shirt on a flat surface, smoothing out wrinkles.
2. Cut out shapes for the robot assembly. The shapes are cut freehand and follow these approximate measurements.
- Cut one 5" x 3-1/2" light blue corduroy rectangle
- Cut one 2"x 3" light blue corduroy oval
- Cut two arms 4 inches long from plaid fabric
- Cut two legs 6-1/2 inches long from plaid fabric
- Cut two small antennae from plaid fabric
3. Assemble the robot appliqué by arranging the shapes on the T-shirt.
4. Squeeze out some fabric glue onto a tray or palette. Paint an even layer of glue onto the back of the appliqué pieces of fabric using a small paintbrush.
5. Glue all the robot shapes onto the T-shirt. Let dry eight to 10 hours.
6. Outline the antennae, arms and legs with a straight stitch.
7. Change to a zigzag stitch and sew around the body and head.
8. Cut out circles for the body buttons, eyes and mouth. Sew on the robot accent parts with a zigzag stitch. Change the top thread so that it matches the accents.
9. Using black upholstery thread, outline the mouth and fill in the teeth using a straight stitch.