How to Make a Photo Pendant Necklace
Materials and Tools:
foil soldering tape
cleaner for flux and patina
silver jump ring
silver jewelry wire
lead free solder
sterling silver chain
- Scan two pictures (one picture for each side of the pendant) into the computer. Size them to 1-1/2" x 1" and print them on paper. Print out names or words of inspiration.
- Cut out the pictures and words. Glue the words onto the pictures using a glue stick. Glue the pictures back to back.
- Cut a microscope slide in half using a glass cutter. Clean the pieces with glass cleaner.
- Sandwich the image between the two pieces of glass.
- Wrap the edges of the glass with foil soldering tape. Brush liquid flux over the foil tape.
- Adhere solder over the foil-taped edges with a soldering iron.
- Repeat the soldering process on the reverse side of the pendant. Clean with flux remover and a soft cloth.
- Clamp the piece and apply flux to the top edge. Hold the jump ring with needle-nose pliers and solder the two jump rings evenly spaced across the top. Clean with flux cleaner.
- Make two tiny wire hearts from the silver jewelry wire by shaping the wire around round-nose pliers. Solder one heart to the lower left corner of each side of the pendant.
- Attach the chain onto wire strung with two beads next to each jump ring on the pendant and close with the flat-nosed pliers. Add a lobster clasp.
Alisa Taxe, Beverly Hills, Calif.