How to Make a Magic Sliding Message Card
Materials and Tools:
8-1/2" x 11" card stock
clear acetate sheet
rubber stamp (sun, flower, etc.)
black permanent ink pad
dye-based ink pad
1. Fold the card stock in half vertically with the bone folder. Unfold, fold in half horizontally and unfold.
2. Cut away the upper left quarter panel. This will be the sliding panel.
3. Cut off 1/4-inch along the outside edge of the two right side panels.
4. Measure and score, but do not cut, a 1/4-inch strip along the outside edge of the lower left panel. Cut the two corners at an angle. Fold up along the scored line and unfold.
5. To make the window in the card, cut out an area in the bottom left panel. Your cut can be round, oval, square or a rectangle. This card features a rectangle with a 1/2-inch-wide border on all sides. This will be the front of the card.
6. The upper right panel will be the secret panel. The bottom right is the back panel. Fold the upper right panel down over the lower right panel. Draw a dot along the folded edge 1/4 inch in from each side edge. Draw a line 1/8 inch down from the folded edge between the two dots. Cut out this area. When you open the card there will be a 1/4-inch-wide slot along the folded edge.
7. Fold the secret panel down over the back panel. Fold the front panel (the window panel) over the secret panel. Trim any uneven edges from the bottom of the card.
8. Open the card. Stamp or decorate the frame around the border of the front panel.
9. On the sliding panel, cut 1/2 inch off from the long edge. It should measure 3-3/4" x 5-1/2".
10. Measure 1/2 inch up from the bottom on each side of the panel. Cut off a 1/8-inch-wide strip from this point up to the top on each side of the panel. This will leave a 1/2-inch deep tab along the bottom.
11. Stamp selected image on the sliding panel using a waterproof black ink pad. Heat set briefly so ink will not run. Color in image and add accents.
12. Place a sheet of clear acetate (cut slightly larger than the panel) on top of the sliding panel and, using permanent black ink, stamp the same image on top of the original image. Try to be as accurate as possible. Let ink dry.
13. Place the sliding panel with the image side under the acetate and line up the images to match. Hold securely and cut through both pieces with scissors so the acetate fits the sliding panel perfectly.
14. Place the card so the front panel is on the left, the secret panel is upper right, and the back panel is lower right. Slip the top of the sliding panel up through the slot between the top and bottom panels. Pull it up until the tab prevents it from going up further.
15. Run a very narrow, 1/4-inch strip of stick glue across the top of the sliding panel and place the acetate panel on top of it, making certain to match the two stamped images exactly. Press to secure firmly.
16. Push the sliding panel down into the card as far as it will go. Fold front panel over and use glue stick to adhere the 1/4-inch tab to the back of the back panel.
17. Add a decorative pull tab to the top of the sliding panel.