How to Make a Butterfly Napkin and Napkin Ring
Materials and Tools:
regular Lazertran waterslide decal paper
AMACO ArtEmboss foil
AMACO Rub ‘n Buff metallic wax finish: antique white
ThermO'Web Keep A Memory double-sided adhesive sheets
Fiskars scallop-blade rotary cutter
Westrim Crafts glass beads
Westrim Crafts nylon fishing line
Dover copyright-free clip art: butterflies
8" AMACO Fun Wire 18-22 gauge coated wire
plastic tube (from foil)
embossing stylus (comes with foil)
cotton dinner napkin(s)
1. To make the napkin ring: Cut a 1-1/2-inch ring from the clear tube (packaging for the foil).
2. Cut 6-1/2" x 2-1/2" pieces of the burlap and the double-sided adhesive sheet. Remove one side of the backing for the adhesive sheet. Place the plastic ring in the center of the sheet and roll the adhesive around it.
3. Remove the other side of the backing and press the top and bottom on the inside of the ring. Apply the burlap by rolling the adhesive-covered ring onto it. Press the top and bottom inside to secure. Set aside.
4. Place the foil onto a soft object (like a magazine or foam sheet) with the silver side up. Lay the pattern on the foil and emboss with stylus tool. Be careful not to emboss too hard or press through the foil.
5. With a soft cloth, lightly rub white metallic wax on the embossed foil. This will remove the color from the embossed areas and give the foil an antiqued appearance.
6. Cut with rotary cutter (using scalloped blade and self-healing mat) to 1-1/4 inch wide. Cut a 1" x 7" strip of double-sided adhesive. Remove one side of the backing and wrap around the center of the ring. Wrap the foil around this.
7. Cut a piece of double-sided adhesive slightly larger than the other butterfly decal. Remove one side of the adhesive sheet. With a border around the image of approximately 1 inch, lay the butterfly decal (printed on the shiny side of regular Lazertran waterslide decal paper) onto the adhesive piece. Smooth surfaces together with brayer or by hand, removing any bubbles.
8. Paint the backing paper of the decal with water. Allow to soak for 1 or 2 minutes. The sheet will become transparent. Slide off the backing paper. Apply more water if it does not slide off easily or dries before you can remove it. Wipe off decal to remove any remaining residue that held the decal onto the backing paper.
9. Remove backing of adhesive sheet and press onto flashing. Cut around image with heavy-duty scissors. Cut off the antennae. (You'll add these with wire later.)
10. Position the butterfly on the ring (covering the area where the foil overlaps) and, using the needle tool, carefully punch holes in the ring above and below the body of the butterfly.
11. Cut a 6-inch piece of coated black wire, fold in half and insert into the ring beneath the body of the butterfly. Feed the wire back up through the hole above the butterfly. Twist to secure and bend the ends out to form antennae. Twist a bead onto each end of the wire.
12. To make the napkin: Color copy butterfly clip art images onto the shiny side of regular Lazertran waterslide decal paper. You will need two images per ring/napkin set. (Note: This specific clip art is available in a printed book and on disk, so you can copy from the book or use the disk to print out the images. Some color copy centers may take your disk to print from for a high-quality decal image on Lazertran regular decal paper.
13. Cut out butterfly decal (with antennae). Place decal facedown onto cotton dinner napkin. Set an iron at medium/hot heat setting and iron the decal onto the cloth until it adheres well. Move the iron around to avoid scorching the fabric.
14. Thread a thin needle with nylon fishing line. Tie knots in the end and insert in hem of napkin. Slide needle into hem for 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Add a glass bead and continue around the entire napkin.