How to Give Furniture a Faux Finish
Create custom "antique" furniture with paint and wax.
Materials and Tools:
tinted painter's wax
three colors of paint
- Sand the furniture surface thoroughly to ensure that the paint will stick. Apply your first color. Remember, this color will show the least out of all of the other colors. Once it has thoroughly dried, add the second layer, which will be the first wax layer. Apply the wax with a piece of cloth. Be sure to cover the entire surface.
- After the wax has set, apply another coat of paint in a different color than the first layer. Once it is dry, add another layer of painter's wax.
- The crackle medium has the same consistency as paint. Gently brush it onto the surface and allow it to dry. Paint over it with your final color. Once the paint is applied over the medium, it will instantly crackle. If it dries and you pass over it again, you will lose the crackle. Be sure you cover it completely and evenly in the first try.
- Once the final layer of paint has dried, gently sand the surface. Ideally, the areas that should show the most layering are the corners and high points. The best technique is to pass over the entire painted surface gently and go a bit tougher on the corners and high points.
- Evenly apply another layer of tinted wax until you have achieved the aged look you want. This final step will seal the surface, so there is no need for a finish.
Paint a sun on a wine stopper for a bright, cheery look.
Cut a stencil and transfer your baby's footprints to float glass.
Sheila Wilson creates a mixed media collage.
Easily give a plain-Jane outdoor ottoman a beachy upgrade with a nautically inspired stencil and exterior paint.
Create these nesting gift boxes using card stock, iridescent paint and origami techniques.
Create a dog portrait with various patterns of wood grain contact paper.
Make and paint a Caribbean-style lazy Susan with these simple steps.
Make prints from a woodcut to create your own design.
Use a lathe to turn out a one-of-a-kind decorative bowl.
Paint a design on an old chair and attach a fun fabric with this project.