How to Give Furniture a Faux Finish
Create custom "antique" furniture with paint and wax.
Materials and Tools:
tinted painter's wax
three colors of paint
- Sand the furniture surface thoroughly to ensure that the paint will stick. Apply your first color. Remember, this color will show the least out of all of the other colors. Once it has thoroughly dried, add the second layer, which will be the first wax layer. Apply the wax with a piece of cloth. Be sure to cover the entire surface.
- After the wax has set, apply another coat of paint in a different color than the first layer. Once it is dry, add another layer of painter's wax.
- The crackle medium has the same consistency as paint. Gently brush it onto the surface and allow it to dry. Paint over it with your final color. Once the paint is applied over the medium, it will instantly crackle. If it dries and you pass over it again, you will lose the crackle. Be sure you cover it completely and evenly in the first try.
- Once the final layer of paint has dried, gently sand the surface. Ideally, the areas that should show the most layering are the corners and high points. The best technique is to pass over the entire painted surface gently and go a bit tougher on the corners and high points.
- Evenly apply another layer of tinted wax until you have achieved the aged look you want. This final step will seal the surface, so there is no need for a finish.
Love the look of leather, but hate the price? With a little paint, glaze and newspaper, see how to re-create the luxurious look.
Apply a layer of elegance to your laminate countertop with these step-by-step instructions.
Finish concrete slabs or pavers with several colors of stain to create a faux stone tabletop.
Follow these tips for creating a faux stone look on a wall.
Learn how to dress up a floor with a painted rug.
What's old is chic again. Follow these step-by-instructions for achieving a distressed look on furniture.
Learn how to apply this faux technique with these step-by-step instructions.
To give a room a cohesive feel, try staining all the furniture the same color.
Learn how to transform a dull dresser into a showpiece.
This stylish zinc planter looks haute but stays cool in the sun. And no one will ever know it’s faux.