How to Carve a Light Switch Plate
Materials and Tools:
black permanent marker
sheet of drywall
nail or other sharp object
1. Draw a design on the linoleum with a black permanent marker.
2. Carve out the design with linoleum block knives.
4. Smooth the clay with a drywall scraper.
5. Place the linoleum cut upside down on the clay and imprint the design in the clay by rolling over the linoleum with a rolling pin.
6. Cut the clay by running a knife around the outside of the linoleum.
8. Make a paper template of the old switch-plate cover by tracing the switch openings the screw holes. Place the template on the clay and cut through the clay along the lines you traced, using a knife for the switch openings and a nail or other sharp object for the screw holes. Allow the switch plate to dry to the leather-hard stage.
9. Sand and finish the holes for countersinking the screws. Trim the edges with a potato peeler. Let the clay dry completely, which will take about a week.
11. Apply iron oxide to the design surface with a foam brush. Remove the excess iron oxide with a damp sponge to highlight the texture.
12. High-fire the piece to 2,400 degrees.
13. Install the switch plate with screws.