Ghostly Glove Placecard Holders
Materials and Tools:
adult size opera glove (times the numbers of place settings)
linen or parchment finish paper
white glue or school glue
lighter or candle
Most new costume gloves should still have a hand-shaped cardboard insert. If you are using vintage gloves, you may want to make one by tracing your glove onto a light-weight cardboard and cutting it out. Having a cardboard "hand" inside your glove helps the completed project to maintain its shape and allows you to bend the fingers to create a clutching hand.
1. Stuff small pieces of cotton ball into the glove. Ensure that the pieces aren’t too large or wadded together, this will keep the glove from looking lumpy.
2. Once the glove is stuffed to your satisfaction, insert a small piece of wire into the thumb, this will allow the thumb to bend.
3. Crease the cardboard insert at the finger's joints to create the appearance of a clutching palm. Button the glove and place on plate.
4. To make your place cards, either handwrite or use your computer to print your guest's names onto a linen or parchment finish paper. We used Blackadder font.
5. Carefully tear the edges around your guest's name and a slightly larger piece of gold paper, creating a jagged edge.
6. Run both pieces of paper over a lighter or lit candle, singeing the paper's edges and giving the paper an antique and slightly distressed look.
7. Center the printed piece of paper on the gold piece and attach using white glue. Insert your placecard into the palm of your ghostly glove, positioning the thumb so it appears to hold the card in place.