Materials and Tools:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 cup organic peanut butter
1 cup whole milk
2 cups carob chips
1/4 cup shelled peanuts
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
Yield: about 20 doughnuts
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Combine flour and baking powder in a large bowl.
3. Mix peanut butter and milk in a small bowl; then add to dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Place dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead.
5. Roll dough to 1/4" thickness and cut out shapes with a doughnut cutter.
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes on a lightly greased baking sheet until lightly browned. Baking time will vary depending on the oven, so be sure to monitor them so that they don't burn.
7. Cool the cookies on a rack.
8. Melt the carob chips in a double boiler over low heat. Note: If you don't have a double boiler, fill a saucepan halfway with water and place a heat safe bowl on top to melt the carob chips in. Be sure to leave room for steam to vent.
9. Add vegetable oil to the melted carob chips and mix well.
10. Spoon the carob icing over the cooled doughnuts.
11. Grind the peanuts in a food processor and sprinkle on top of carob-iced doughnuts.
Submitted by Jenny Kitchens