Catnip Kitty Fortune Cookie
Crafter Cindi Massei explains how to make a simple and stylish catnip toy.
Materials and Tools:
felt: tan and white
fiberfill or batting
dried organic catnip
1. Cut a 3-3/4" diameter circle out of the tan felt. Tip: Trace around a wine goblet with a white quilter's pencil to get your circle. This is the cookie portion.
2. Cut a strip of white felt measuring 2 1/2" long and 3/8" wide. This is the cookie's "fortune."
3. Sprinkle a teaspoon of catnip onto the center of the tan felt circle.
4. Take a piece of fiberfill about the size of a ping pong ball and roll it between the palms of your hands to form it into a cylinder shape.
5. Place the fiberfill cylinder on top of the catnip in the center of the felt circle.
6. Sprinkle another teaspoon of catnip on top of the fiberfill.
7. Fold the felt in half to make a half-circle and pin into place.
8. Place one end of the white felt "fortune" inside the "cookie" so that about 2" of the "fortune" is sticking out.
9. Using a sewing machine, sew around the circle from one end to the other to completely close it.
10. Fold the two ends of the half-circle together to form your fortune cookie and sew them together, hiding the stitches inside the folds of the fortune cookie.
11. Trim the fortune so it's about 1 1/2" long.