Beeswax Fairy House
Materials and Tools:
premium candle wax
vintage wood block house
photocopies of photographs
colored powdered chalk
acrylic paint, brown, red
1. Melt one part beeswax, two parts premium candle wax and one-teaspoon of dammar varnish on the low setting in a crock-pot.
2. Paint the roof of the house with red acrylic paint. Let dry.
3. Cut pieces of decorative paper and copies of photos and glue them to three sides of the house using a glue stick.
4. Remove the excess paper by running a nail file or emery board over the paper on the corner edges of the house. Tear away the excess paper.
5. Add embellishments as desired such as a heart cut from red decorative paper.
6. Apply colored powdered chalk over the glued on paper to add color.
7. Dip the top half of the house in the heated beeswax. Hold the house over the crock-pot and let the excess wax drip off. Turn the house around and dip the bottom half in the wax. Let the excess wax drip away.
8. While the wax on the house is still soft, rubber stamp an image on one side. Let the wax harden.
9. Carve a flower in the wax on another side using a toothpick.
10. Roll a tracing wheel through the beeswax around the edges for a decorative design.
11. Place a drop of brown acrylic paint onto the carved flower and rub it into the carved etching. Remove the excess with a paper towel.
12. Dip a chopstick into the wax and apply a flower embellishment to one side of the fairy house.