Beachy Mosaic Seashell Box
Decorate the top of a paper mache box — or other item — with your beach vacation treasures. We chose broken cockle shell pieces in pretty sunset colors of rose, red, orange, rust and brown, as well as a few pieces of white and gray scallop shells and sand dollars.
Materials and Tools:
a box or other item to cover
Plaid Make-it Mosaics white sanded tile grout
pieces of shells
plastic knife or spatula
sponge or old rag
craft glue or other adhesive
1. Glue the shell pieces in place in whatever pattern you choose. Allow to dry completely. If using smoother or heavier materials, a stronger adhesive is better than craft glue.
2. When the glue is dry, mix white-sanded grout according to the instructions on the package and smooth it over the shells with a spatula, plastic knife or your fingers. Press the grout into all the cracks and crevices.
3. Allow the grout to dry about 15 minutes or according to the manufacturer's instructions.
4. Use a damp sponge or towel to wipe the grout off, uncovering the shells but leaving grout between the pieces. Continue to rinse and wipe until the shells are clean and the grout is smooth between them.
5. Allow the grout to dry completely, overnight or as recommended in the package instructions. Buff the shells with a soft cloth or paper towel.