6 Festive Holiday DIYs to Try This Year
This house tour from HGTV Magazine was full of crafty Christmas ideas. Here's how to make them for yourself.
1. Wrap a foam wreath form with red yarn, securing the ends with hot glue. Set aside.
2. Wrap foam balls in various sizes with red and white yarn, securing the ends with hot glue.
3. Make red and white pom-poms using a pom-pom maker, following the package instructions.
4. Hot-glue the yarn balls, the pom-poms, and mini red-and-white ornaments to the wreath form as shown below.
Wreath Form: Styrofoam 9"-diameter floral wreath, $5, Michaels stores; Yarn: Loops & Threads Charisma acrylic yarn in white, $4.50 for 109 yards, and Impeccable acrylic yarn in cherry, $3.50 for 277 yards, both Michaels stores; Foam Balls: FloraCraft Styrofoam 1½"-diameter, 2"-diameter, and 3"-diameter balls, from $4 per multipack, michaels.com; Pom-Pom Maker: Clover large pom-pom maker, $7, joann.com
Paper Box Advent Calendar
1. To make the backdrop, paint trees, mountains and snowflakes on crafts paper with white crafts paint. Cut out the design, trimming around the mountaintops. Attach it to the wall with removable poster tack.
2. Spray-paint small toy animals. Let dry.
3. Assemble paper boxes, and stick a number for each day of Advent on the front of each box. Fill the boxes with candy and small toys.
4. Stack the boxes. Secure the toy animals on top of the boxes with hot glue.
Crafts Paint: Wedding Cake by Martha Stewart Crafts; Spray Paint: Watermelon, Peekaboo Blue, Banner Red and Bright Idea, all by Krylon; Toy Animals: Safari Ltd. Toobs Wild, $10 for a mixed set of 12, michaels.com; Boxes: Celebrate It mug boxes in kraft, $20 for 20, michaels.com; Stickers: Recollections number stickers in white, $3.50 for a set of 4 sheets (minimum order is 3 packages), michaels.com
1. Trim a paper rosette to make points.
2. Brush white glue onto each point, and sprinkle with silver glitter. Let dry.
3. Nestle the ornaments in the branches of your tree.
Paper Rosettes: Paper Rosettes in aqua and pink with silver centers, $38 for a mixed set of 10, beautifulpapercrafts.etsy.com; Glitter: Horizon Group USA glitter in silver, $6.50 for 1
Paper Cone Trees
1. Wrap papier-mâché cones in various sizes with wrapping paper, and secure the seams with double-sided tape. Trim excess paper around the bottom of each.
2. Attach a glittery puffy star sticker to the top of each tree.
Cones: Darice 10¾"-tall and 13¾"-tall papier-mâché cones, from $1 each, consumercrafts.com; Stickers: Recollections Glitter adhesive stars, $5 for a mixed set of 36, Michaels stores
1. Adhere decals that spell out your message to a globe. Tape off the metal parts of the globe with painter’s tape.
2. Spray-paint the globe with black chalkboard paint. Use tweezers to remove the decals while the paint is still wet. Let dry.
3. Remove the painter’s tape.
Decal: For a similar look, try Joy to the World 7" x 7" vinyl decal, $13, thestickstudio.com; Spray Paint: Black by Rust-Oleum Chalkboard
1. Draw a tree shape on a large sheet of crafts paper. Cut it out, and tape it to the wall. Mark each point with a pencil. Remove the paper.
2. Adhere clear mini hooks to the wall at each point on the tree shape.
3. Find the center of a felt-ball garland, and wrap it around the top hook. String one half of the garland down to create one side of the tree, wrapping it once around each hook as you go. Repeat on the other side with the other half of the garland.
Hooks: Command clear mini plastic hooks with clear strips, $10 for a set of 18, homedepot.com; Garland: Felt Ball 16'-long garland, $36, simpledetailsdesign.etsy.com