1. To make the backdrop, paint trees, mountains and snowflakes on crafts paper with white crafts paint. Cut out the design, trimming around the mountaintops. Attach it to the wall with removable poster tack.
2. Spray-paint small toy animals. Let dry.
3. Assemble paper boxes, and stick a number for each day of Advent on the front of each box. Fill the boxes with candy and small toys.
4. Stack the boxes. Secure the toy animals on top of the boxes with hot glue.
Crafts Paint: Wedding Cake by Martha Stewart Crafts; Spray Paint: Watermelon, Peekaboo Blue, Banner Red and Bright Idea, all by Krylon; Toy Animals: Safari Ltd. Toobs Wild, $10 for a mixed set of 12, michaels.com; Boxes: Celebrate It mug boxes in kraft, $20 for 20, michaels.com; Stickers: Recollections number stickers in white, $3.50 for a set of 4 sheets (minimum order is 3 packages), michaels.com
1. Draw a tree shape on a large sheet of crafts paper. Cut it out, and tape it to the wall. Mark each point with a pencil. Remove the paper.
2. Adhere clear mini hooks to the wall at each point on the tree shape.
3. Find the center of a felt-ball garland, and wrap it around the top hook. String one half of the garland down to create one side of the tree, wrapping it once around each hook as you go. Repeat on the other side with the other half of the garland.
Hooks: Command clear mini plastic hooks with clear strips, $10 for a set of 18, homedepot.com; Garland: Felt Ball 16'-long garland, $36, simpledetailsdesign.etsy.com