Woodland-Inspired Treats: Chocolate Hedgehogs
Kids of all ages will love these chocolate-dipped cuties. Using prepackaged crispy rice treats will help keep the focus on the fun part – decorating! Stock up on chocolate sprinkles before you begin this project, you’ll need a little over one cup to give the hedgehogs their prickly appearance.
- 6 ready-made crispy rice treats
- 8 ounces dark or semisweet chocolate (wafers or finely chopped bars)
- 1-1/4 cups chocolate vermicelli (sprinkles)
- 12 mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 red or orange confetti sprinkles
- parchment paper
1. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Unwrap the treats and form them into teardrop shapes using your hands. Tip: Moisten your hands with water to prevent the gooey treat from sticking.
2. Place the treats on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
3. Place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat the chocolate at 100 percent power, at 30-second intervals until the chocolate is smooth and liquid.
4. Pour the chocolate vermicelli (sprinkles) in a separate bowl and place it beside the bowl of melted chocolate.
5. Hold a crispy rice treat by the pointed end and dip it into the melted chocolate, covering about 2/3 of the treat, leaving a small area for the hedgehog's face. Hold it above the bowl so that most of the excess chocolate runs off the treat and back into the bowl.
6. Immediately dip the chocolate-dipped portion into the chocolate sprinkles, covering all of the melted chocolate with the sprinkles so it resembles the hedgehog's spines.
7. Place the dipped treats onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Let stand at room temperature until set, or chill in the refrigerator to speed setting.
8. Press two mini semisweet chips into the marshmallow treat for the eyes. The exposed marshmallow treat portion will be sticky, so they should adhere naturally. Press a single confetti sprinkle onto the pointed end of the treat for a nose.
9. For party favors or to give these little treats as gifts, place each hedgehog in a small brown kraft box or bag lined with kraft shreds and add a woodland-themed gift tag.