Turkish Red Lentil Soup
Fresh mint and feta are the perfect accompaniments to this smoky red lentil soup that's a satisfying alternative to your seasonal bean favorites.
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup lentils
3 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried mint
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup water
fresh mint, paprika, feta and olive oil drizzle for garnish
Yields: 4 appetizer portions
1. In a saucepan, sauté onion and garlic with a drizzle of olive oil on medium high heat until golden, approximately 4-5 minutes.
2. Add tomato paste, and fold in thoroughly. Add all spices, and sauté for an additional minute until fragrant and mixed through.
3. Add lentils, broth and water, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, and cover for approximately 15 minutes or until lentils are cooked thoroughly. Remove from heat, and allow to cool slightly.
4. Add to a food processor, and pulse until smooth.
5. Top with a generous amount of fresh mint, olive oil drizzle and a sprinkle of paprika and feta. Serve immediately.