Southern Pimento Cheese Recipe
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons pickle juice
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon hot sauce (recommendation: Frank's RedHot Hot Sauce)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
1 roasted red pepper, skinned, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup pimento pieces, drained
1 pound mild or medium-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1. In a medium bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, pickle juice, mustard, hot sauce, garlic, salt and pepper until smooth.
2. Fold in the red pepper, pimento and cheddar cheese.
3. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
1 cup water
1 cup milk
1/2 pound butter
2 teaspoons salt
11 ounces all-purpose flour (by weight)
1 pint eggs (approximately 6 large eggs)
1 cup pimento cheese
1. Bring milk, water and butter to simmer, and season with salt.
2. Fold in flour, and then transfer to mixer and slowly add eggs until shiny.
3. Add pimento cheese. Tip: Be careful not to overmix.
4. Place in piping bag and pipe out into tubes on parchment.
5. Freeze and cut into desired length.
6. Set the fryer to 350° F and fry fritters until golden brown.
Recipe yields enough pimento cheese and fritters for approximately 20 people.