No-Bake Mini Toadstool Treats
Cookies get a woodland makeover and are transformed into spotted mushrooms. Here we've used iced gingerbread cookies and kiss-shaped meringues, which are available at most grocery stores. Other cookies that make good toadstool tops are French macarons and vanilla wafer cookies, so have fun experimenting!
- 12 prepared meringue cookies
- 12 iced gingerbread cookies
- 6 ounces orange candy melting wafers
- 6 ounces red candy melting wafers
- 1/4 cup white confetti sprinkles
- 2 tablespoons white nonpareils
- cocoa powder for dusting
- florists’ foam block
- parchment paper
1. Cover a work surface with a large sheet of parchment paper. Place the meringues and iced gingerbread cookies on the parchment.
2. Heat the red and orange wafers in a microwave-safe bowl at 100 percent power at 30 second intervals until melted and smooth.
3. Insert toothpicks into the bottom centers of each iced gingerbread cookie.
4. Pick up the cookies by the toothpicks and dip each of the cookie tops into the melted candy.
5. Turn them upright and insert the toothpicks into the florists’ foam and immediately sprinkle on the white confetti and nonpareils. Allow to dry at room temperature, about 15 minutes.
6. To resemble ‘dirt’, dip the flat bottoms of each of the meringues into unsweet cocoa powder and tap off the excess.
7. Dip the pointed end of the meringues into the melted candy. Place on the parchment paper.
8. Immediately top the meringue with a red mushroom cap. Allow the mushrooms to stand until set, about 10 minutes.
9. For favors, place two or three cookies in woodland-themed cupcake papers and place in clear gusseted bags; tie with ribbon and add gift tags.