Mini Chipotle Shrimp Tostadas
Recipe Courtesy of Dine X Design
6 large uncooked shrimp
6-ounce can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
4 cloves garlic, minced
15-ounce can black beans
2 cups Cotija cheese
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 cup blue cornmeal
1 cup flour
Salsa Verde Ingredients
2 lbs. tomatillos, husked and washed
4 cloves garlic
1/2 white onion
2 pascilla peppers
1 serrano chili
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1. In a small bowl mix 2 chipotle peppers, 1/4 cup adobo sauce, 4 minced garlic cloves and juice of one lime. Add shrimp, coat and set aside for 30-45 minutes (Image 1).
2. For bean spread, add drained black beans, juice of one lime, 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, 2 teaspoons adobo sauce and heat in a skillet while stirring. Reduce liquid for 3-5 minutes. Puree bean mixture in a bowl and set aside (Image 2).
3. In a saucepan, saute coated shrimp for 3-5 minutes a side until cooked.
4. To create mini blue corn tortillas, mix 3/4 cups blue cornmeal with 3/4 cups boiling water, stir until mixed through and set aside for 30 minutes.
5. Once blue cornmeal has rested, mix with 1/2 to 1 cup flour on a breadboard, adding only 1/4 cup at a time until mixture is no longer sticky (Image 3).
6. Covering tortilla press with a little flour, place a Ping-Pong-sized ball of dough and clamp down softly. Using a rolling pin can also flatten out dough (Image 4).
7. On a hot skillet, place flattened dough and cook for a few minutes a side until slightly golden and crispy (Image 5).
8. Assemble appetizers by spreading the bean mixture on top of the mini tortillas and topping with chopped romaine, chipotle shrimp, salsa verde and a sprinkling of Cotija cheese and fresh cilantro.
Salsa Verde Instructions
1. In an oven-safe dish, coat tomatillos, peppers, garlic and onion with olive oil, salt and pepper.
2. Roast at 350 degrees F for 45-60 minutes until everything is soft and slightly blistered. Once peppers have cooled, remove stems and seeds.
3. In a food processor, place the roasted vegetables with 2 tablespoons of ground cumin, the juice of 1 lime and 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro.