Lemon Poppyseed Waffle Bites Recipe
For the waffles:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
4 tablespoons poppy seeds
2 teaspoons lemon zest
6 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
2 eggs, separated
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/4 cups whole or 2 percent milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
canola or olive oil for brushing the waffle iron
For the cream cheese:
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk
fresh strawberries, thinly sliced and stems removed
heart-shaped cookie cutters
one pastry or plastic storage bag
1. To prepare the cream cheese, combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl and beat together until smooth and well combined. Put in a plastic storage bag and set aside.
2. To assemble waffles, combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate liquid measuring cup, mix together egg yolks, milk, vanilla and butter.
3. Brush the waffle iron lightly with oil and preheat it. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
4. Beat the egg whites with a whisk or electric mixer (making sure both are dry and clean) until they hold soft peaks. Fold them gently into the batter.
5. Spread a ladleful of batter onto the waffle iron and bake until golden brown, around 4-5 minutes.
6. While the waffles are still hot, cut into desired shape with a cookie cutter. Keep warm in a low oven while the rest of the waffles finish cooking.
7. Cut the corner off the plastic storage bag filled with cream cheese, and pipe a dollop onto each waffle.
8. Top cream cheese dollop with a strawberry slice and a second dollop of cream cheese. Secure each stack with a toothpick.
Recipe courtesy of Chrissy Barua