Gruyere Potato Gratin Recipe
Yield: 2 servings
2 pounds large red potatoes
1 1/2 cups coarsely grated Gruyere
2 large eggs
2 cups milk, heated just to boiling
salt and freshly-ground black pepper
1. Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Butter a 1 1/2-quart gratin or shallow baking dish.
3. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil.
4. Peel potatoes and cut into thin slices (about 1/8-inch thick).
5. Add potatoes to boiling water and par cook for 4 minutes.
6. Drain potatoes well in a colander.
7. Arrange potatoes in gratin or baking dish, overlapping them, in three layers, sprinkling first two layers each with a third of Gruyere and salt and pepper.
8. In a small bowl whisk eggs and add hot milk in a stream, whisking.
9. Season mixture with salt and pepper and pour evenly over potatoes.
10. Sprinkle potatoes with remaining cheese and bake 30 minutes, or until top is golden and potatoes are tender.