Classic Margaritas With a Candy Twist
Give a favorite childhood candy an adult twist by getting gummy worms drunk, then whipping up a tipsy worm's perfect match: a tasty, classic margarita.
gummy worms (not the organic variety)
1 cup sugar
2-3 large large limes
1 cup orange juice (fresh squeezed or storebought)
good quality silver tequila
cheesecloth or a cocktail strainer
glass container with a lid
Yield: 3-4 margaritas
1. Place gummy worms in a small glass container and cover with enough tequila so they are completely submerged. Cover container with plastic wrap or a lid and set aside for 4 hours to allow the worms to get drunk. As they absorb the alcohol, they'll also grow a bit in size. Note: Both gummy worms and tequila are shelf stable so it's not necessary to refrigerate the worms for this step; refrigeration will only slow down their absorption of the alcohol.
2. Create a simple syrup by bringing 1 cup of water to a boil in a microwave-safe container. Remove container from microwave and add 1 cup of sugar and stir until sugar has completely dissolved. Transfer mixture to a small pitcher and set aside to cool. Note: You can store simple syrup in the fridge for 3-4 weeks.
3. Using a reamer, juice 2-3 large limes to create 1 cup fresh lime juice. Strain using cheesecloth or a cocktail strainer, then add fresh juice to simple syrup in pitcher.
4. Add 1 cup orange juice and 1/2 cup (4 ounces) tequila. Note: You can reuse the leftover tequila from the tipsy worms or add fresh tequila. Stir cocktail to combine flavors.
5. Use a lime wedge or the leftover rind to wet the rims of 2 margarita glasses then dip in coarse salt. Drop a drunken worm into the bottom of each glass, then fill with ice. Add margarita mixture and a lime and skewered worm as a garnish and enjoy.