Weekend Projects: Create a Wooden Privacy Screen for a Window
Tools and Materials:
plunge router with trenching bit
1/2” birch plywood
paintbrush and rags
miter saw or chop saw
nail gun and nails
1. Determine the size of your screen.
2. Build the exterior frame of the screen using the 1x2 poplar. Test the the frame to make sure it fits snugly in the window. (You probably won’t want to permanently attach the screen because you want to still be able to open the window.)
3. Cut the plywood to size using a circular saw. Make sure it will fit on top of the frame.
4. Layout and mark the design of the slots (trenches) on the plywood.
5. Cut the slots with a trenching bit on the router. To keep the lines straight while you cut, clamp a piece of scrap wood to the plywood to butt up against the router.
6. After all the slots have been cut, nail the plywood onto the frame using the nail gun.
7. Stain or paint screen. When it is dry, set it in place.