Painting a Faux Area Rug
Tools and Materials:
paint roller with one large roller attachment
extension pole and one small foam roller attachment
three paint trays
small chip brush
two different shades of epoxy floor paint (we used low-VOC Dexcoat brand, Smooth Deck Coating, color matched to Behr 400B-5/Grape Green and 1812/Swiss Coffee)
artist medium (we used Liquitex brand matte medium)
1. With a large paint roller attached to an extension pole, apply two coats of floor paint to the entire floor and allow it to dry completely between coats.
2. Design and draw the desired pattern for your faux area rug on paper.
3. Re-create a larger scale pattern on the floor, using painter's tape, measuring tape, straight-edge ruler, pencil and a utility knife.
4. Using a chip brush, apply the artist medium to the edge of the tape to prevent the accent paint from seeping under the tape. Let dry completely.
5. Disassemble the extension pole from the paint roller and attach a small foam roller in place of the large roller. Apply two coats of a contrasting floor paint (we used white) to create the topcoat of the design. Allow each coat to dry completely.
6. Once all paint is dry, peel off the tape with the aid of a utility knife to reveal the pattern detail.