Light Fixtures 101
Nothing affects both the mood and the function of a room quite like lighting does, so consider these 6 tips when deciding what fixtures to buy.
- Bedroom lighting should be applied in layers, since it's a multifunctional room. Task lighting for reading and dressing are extremely important.
- A pendant lamp in a reading area is an interesting alternative to the more common table lamp.
- Recessed lighting tends to have a more contemporary look. Alternatives include lamps, art lighting and sconces.
- Wall sconces provide soothing indirect light and provide dramatic effects on walls. A sconce can be used as a point of interest on a wall or provide light in the upper reaches of a room where the lighting is dim.
- A rich, beautiful chandelier is a good way to add importance to a space. It provides excellent down light and ambient lighting.
- The most important function of lighting in the bath is to provide shadow-free light for ease in personal grooming. This is best done with side lights around the mirror rather than down lights, which produce pronounced shadows.
Find out how ambient, task and accent features work to light up your home.
Keep these tips in mind when installing landscape lighting.
From LED to solar power to low voltage, landscape lighting comes in many forms and price ranges—and it adds style, value and security to your home!
Spread it around with recessed fixtures and indirect lighting.
Consult our DIY guide for illuminating your landscape.
A lighting expert shares tips for properly illuminating your bathroom for maximum beauty and functionality.
Learn how landscape lighting can brighten up your outdoor living space.
Give your kitchen a fresh look with a combination of ambient, task and decorative lighting.
Discover expert tips for choosing mudroom lighting that's beautiful and efficient.
Get tips on adding the right lighting in and around your pool.