Installing a Junction Box for a Chandelier
Hanging a heavy chandelier takes some preparation. Here’s how to install a reinforced junction box:
Materials and Tools:
junction box with expandable arm
1. Place a piece of red tape on the end of a telescopic pole and mark the desired location of the chandelier.
2. Tape a roofing nail to the telescopic pole and punch it through the tape and ceiling. Have a friend hold the pole in place while you go up to the attic and locate the nail. Be sure to wear safety glasses, gloves and a dust mask since you'll be working with insulation.
3. Place a junction box with expandable arms rated to handle the weight of the chandelier in between the joists and line up with the nail.
4. Trace an outline around the junction box into the ceiling drywall and cut out an opening using a keyhole saw.
5. Set the junction box into the opening and use an awl to mark mounting points for screws into the ceiling joists.
6. Set the junction box aside and pre-drill pilot holes into the joists. Place the junction box back into position and attach securely to joists using screws.
7. After the electrician runs wiring for the chandelier, lock down the strap securing the junction box to the arm.