How to Install Carpet Squares
Adding permanent or temporary wall-to-wall carpeting with stick-on carpeting squares is a simple proposition. And it's an ideal decorating approach for renters. Here's how to do it:
Materials and Tools:
tape measure (for calculating wall-to-wall measurements)
straight-edge razor for cutting the carpet
gloves for protection
1. Make sure the floor is dust-free before beginning. Sweep and mop thoroughly so the carpet will stick to the surface.
2. Lay out the pattern using either graph paper or a computer.
3. Label the longest wall the "A" wall, and the adjacent wall the "B" wall. You want to have an even amount of space leftover all around the edges, with the pattern in the center.
4. Use a tape measure to find the determined distance from the edge of the wall, and mark off a straight line in front of all four walls with the chalk.
5. Begin by laying the carpet squares in the corner. Push the squares together snugly without creating a crown or a bump at the seam line. Press down firmly with all your weight to install each square. They can easily be repositioned if you make a mistake.
6. Lay a line down along "A" wall and then "B" wall.
7. Fill in the remaining space, cutting squares to fit as needed.