Preparing Children for a Move
Moving expert Cindy Borup shares tips on helping children make a smooth transition from one home to the next.
Tips for a smooth transition:
- Write the date you are moving on the family calendar, so your child is well aware of when it is happening.
- If your children are older, have them pack up their own rooms or favorite items. Supply them with markers, crayons, stickers and labels so they can decorate their own boxes.
- Take pictures or video of the new home or town, so they become familiar with the new surroundings.
- Make a folder for each child that includes brochures about their new city such as theaters, libraries, parks and sports teams. Be sure to include information on activities they enjoy.
- Get a large map of the new area. Locate and mark several of the places you have discussed as well as where the new house will be.
- Ask your children to draw a picture of how they will arrange and decorate their new room. You could even help make a floor plan.
- A going-away party is a great way to create some lasting memories from the "old" home. Have your children help plan the event. Have a special address book at the party where their friends can write down their contact information.
- Another ideas for the party is to buy a plain T-shirt for your child and ask their friends to sign or write a special message on it.
- Give each of your child's friends a postcard that has already been stamped and addressed with your new address, and ask them to send a note after the move.
- Make your child a snack bag for moving day.
Keep your kids and pets safe on moving day and ease them into their new home with these tips.
Make your garden a rewarding space for kids by adding water and removing chaos.
Organization is key for avoiding stressful school mornings. We've asked real moms and professional organizers to share their advice for making hectic mornings as stress-free as possible.
Got kids? Check out these dos and don'ts for putting together rooms that will stand up to family life and still look fabulous.
How to safeguard toddlers in the most serious problem areas
Ensure that a safe time will be had by all with these 8 tips.
Yes, you read that right. We've got tips to get the whole family motivated to join in on the seasonal cleaning spree.
These 10 tips will help kids make a smooth transition to a new home.
Resist the temptation to micro-size. Kid-friendly bathroom design begins with the selection of smart and stylish design fixtures that accommodate the needs of a growing family - both children and adults.
Throw a birthday party that's more fun than a three-ring circus.