9 Fire-Safety Tips
Think you're ready? Take every precaution by consulting our checklist.
Be prepared with these tips for preventing and controlling fires in the home.
- Before buying a fire extinguisher, check its intended purpose. Some extinguishers effectively treat a few or all of the following varieties of fires: trash, wood, paper, liquids, grease and electrical.
- Position the fire extinguishers throughout your house and on all levels, including along the hallways outside bedrooms and bathrooms. Install the kitchen fire extinguisher near the stove but not directly under it. You don't want to be stumbling around beneath the flames in the event of a stovetop fire. Mount it off center along the interior of a cabinet door to take up as little space as possible.
- Be sure extinguishers are full and ready for use. If they're battery-powered, remember to check the regularly. It's a good idea to change the batteries twice a year, perhaps at the same times as you change your clocks in the fall and spring.
- Don't fight a grease fire with water. When cooking, keep a box of baking soda readily available to put out any grease fires, or extinguish the flames with a lid.
- When fighting a fire with an extinguisher, stand six feet away and sweep the nozzle back and forth.
- Install smoke and heat detectors to notify your family and allow plenty of time to escape during a house fire.
- Develop a family escape plan, with evacuation routes from each room.
- Place stickers or decals on children's windows to assist firefighters in identifying those rooms.
- Make sure your whole family knows how to set off any home panic buttons to notify authorities and other family members of a house fire.
Speed household ironing chores by knowing what to press and how to press it.
8 tips on keeping your grass green
12 ways to give your wheels a fresh start.
Try these quick home organization tips for maintaining a clutter-free home from basement to attic.
From using leftover coffee beans to preventing dirt from getting underneath fingernails, master gardener Paul James shares his top 14 tips and shortcuts to make spring gardening a breeze.
This easy system will get you out of the laundry room and back to your life.
Learn to keep your heating and cooling system in top shape with these tips.
Check out these ways to make the yearly chore less of a chore.
To clean your home in record time, try these tips from professional cleaners.
Follow these 10 pointers to make your refrigerator shine like brand new.