How to Repair Loose Laminate Flooring
Anchor loose laminate flooring in place with these simple step-by-step instructions.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
When laminate flooring works its way loose and pulls away from the concrete below, you can keep it in place with masonry screws masked by oak plugs. Here's how to do it:
Materials and Tools:
drill with masonry bit
3/8-inch bit with collar
3/8-inch oak plug
½-inch-wide painter's tape
1. Check the material under the laminate before drilling. Don't drill through tile or you could crack the tiles.
2. Measure the distance from the wall to the lifted part of the floor and mark the location for the first plug. Wearing safety glasses, drill a 3/8-inch pocket.
3. Use a collar to stop the drill so you don't go too far. Lightly sand around the hole, sanding with the grain of the wood.
4. Change to a masonry bit and drill a pilot hole in the concrete. Drill through the floor, the threshold and the subfloor. Mark the bit with a piece of red tape so you know when to stop drilling.
5. Drive a masonry screw into the hole, stopping just below the threshold.
6. Apply wood glue to a plug and place it in the hole, turning it to line up the grain with the laminate flooring. Tap lightly with the back of a screwdriver to make sure the plug's in snug.
7. Move down the line and repeat the process about every 2 feet.
8. After all the plugs have dried for at least 30 minutes, place strips of painter's tape along either side of the threshold to protect the floor.
9. Wearing safety glasses and a dust mask, use the orbital sander to rough-sand the plugs until they're nearly flush with the threshold. Sand them down completely and smooth by sanding by hand with a fine-grit sandpaper.
10. Vacuum up all dust and wipe down the threshold with a damp towel. Let dry.
11. Apply a matching water-based stain.
Installing snap-together flooring allows anyone with moderate DIY skills to create a beautiful new laminate floor.
These step-by-step instructions will show you how to install underlayment and flooring to get beautiful laminate flooring in...