How to Install French Doors
Brighten up your living space by installing new French doors.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Installing French doors isn't an easy task, but with these helpful instructions, the end result is worth the extra work.
Materials and Tools:
regular drill bit
flush cutting saw
French door kit with frame
hardware (doorknobs, latches)
1. Remove the old frame around the opening with a hammer and pry bars where you want to install French doors. Remove trim carefully so you don't damage it, and label the pieces as you go to make putting them back up easier.
2. Use the long level and carpenter's square to make sure the inside of the opening is square and true.
3. Install the new frame and firm it up using shims. Drill pilot holes through the frame and shims. Drive nails just far enough to temporarily hold frame in place.
4. Test-fit the new doors before securing frame permanently. Make adjustments if necessary to make sure doors open and close properly.
5. Once everything fits and is plumb, secure frame permanently with screws.
6. Hang doors and install door hardware according to manufacturer's instruction.
Bring indoor decor to an outside space with these step-by-step instructions.