How to Apply Wallpaper
Learn how to hang wallpaper for an added touch of glam in your home.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
large and small putty knife
wallpaper hanging kit (adhesive, tray, brush, wallpaper smoothing brush, seam roller)
1. Wipe down the walls with a sponge and bucket of warm water. Let the walls dry thoroughly then sand away imperfections.
2. Fill in uneven areas with drywall compound using a large putty knife. Let dry for 24 hours, then sand it smooth.
3. Wipe the dust off walls with a damp sponge.
4. Apply primer with a brush or roller to the walls to help the wallpaper stick. Use the large putty knife as a paint shield when working along trim.
5. Let the primer dry for at least two hours before hanging wallpaper.
6. Start by drawing a guideline on the wall. Use a straight edge and a level to make sure the line is plumb.
7. Measure and cut paper, leaving an extra four inches at the top. Reverse-curl the paper to get rid of the natural tenancy to curl up on itself.
8. Spread the paper out on a flat surface and apply adhesive. Use a figure-eight motion to spread adhesive evenly over surface of paper.
9. Fold ends of paper in on itself so you have dry paper to grip and carry to the wall and stick it up, aligning the paper with the guideline you drew. Leave a couple of extra inches at the top and bottom.
10. Smooth the wallpaper using the smoothing brush.
11. Trim away excess using a utility knife and a putty knife as a guide.
12. Repeat hanging process until all walls are covered. Use a seam roller to press the seams tightly together.
Learn how to apply popcorn-textured ceiling paint with a hopper gun in this home improvement project.
Removing wallpaper can be difficult and time-consuming. Learn the tips and tricks to using liquid solvents and commercial...
How do you remove the wallpaper without damaging the wall or yourself? Use these tips to help you decide which option...