Outdoor Lighting Brightens Up
More choices abound in lighting up your home's outdoor areas.
By: Marcia Jedd
Safety is a key reason to install an outdoor lighting system, but more and more, aesthetics are sparking market demand. Here are four main kinds of outdoor lighting to get exactly the outdoor lighting effects you want:
- Uplighting: Fixtures aimed upward for accent and drama
- Downlighting: Safety-oriented; used to illuminate large areas or define a pathway
- Zonal lighting: Highlighting individual objects and plants
- Moonlighting: A natural effect, evoking light cast by a full moon. Fixtures are often mounted in trees; mix of uplighting and downlighting.
As outdoor lighting has become more important to homeowners, new products and even new design "rules" have emerged:
- Know what you want; thousands of fixture styles and a broad range of illuminations are available today.
- Remember that natural looking, less intrusive fixtures are in. Think soft bronzes and refined styling.
- Hide fixtures so they’re not visible during the day; rocks and plants help.
- Leave coils of wire around fixtures so lighting can be adjustable and flexible.
- Find a focal point such as a path or a beautiful tree to highlight.
- Space walkway lights 5 to 8 feet apart.
- Be sure buried wiring is protected from chewing animals.
The days of floodlights on the corners of the home are gone. With all the choices available and decisions to be made, consider tapping into the expertise of a landscape architect, lighting designer or other lighting specialists to make a big impact for relatively little money. And with their help, the job will be safe and professional.
Low-Voltage and Solar Lighting
Learn more about low-voltage and solar lighting fixtures to incorporate when you're remodeling your home on HGTV.com.
Under-Cabinet Kitchen Lighting
Under-cabinet lighting creates ambiance for a well-lit kitchen.
Lighting Tips for Every Room
Find out what types of fixtures work best throughout your home
Easy Under-Cabinet Kitchen Lighting
Highlight beautiful countertops and brighten dark spaces by adding under-cabinet lighting to your kitchen. With these simple, step-by-step instructions, anyone can install under-cabinet lighting without an electrician.
Outdoor Landscape Lighting
With carefully placed outdoor lights, you can enjoy the ambiance of your garden into the evening.
Ways to Light Your Outdoor Entryway
Lanterns, sidelights and transom windows are a few choices to illuminate your exterior.
Light Up Your Cabinets With Rope Lights
Use these simple instructions to install under-cabinet rope lights for an instant kitchen facelift.
Bedroom Pendant Lights
Consider adding pendant lights to your bedroom decor for an elegant look.
Ceiling Beams with Recessed Lights
Watch us define a bachelor's living room and stop it from creeping into the dining room.
Decorative String Lights for Bedrooms
Create a warmth and romance in your bedroom with decorative string lights, which come in a wide range of styles and can be tailored to fit your decor.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.