Outdoor Lighting Brightens Up
More choices abound in lighting up your home's outdoor areas.
By: Marcia Jedd
Safety is a key reason to install an outdoor lighting system, but more and more, aesthetics are sparking market demand. Here are four main kinds of outdoor lighting to get exactly the outdoor lighting effects you want:
- Uplighting: Fixtures aimed upward for accent and drama
- Downlighting: Safety-oriented; used to illuminate large areas or define a pathway
- Zonal lighting: Highlighting individual objects and plants
- Moonlighting: A natural effect, evoking light cast by a full moon. Fixtures are often mounted in trees; mix of uplighting and downlighting.
As outdoor lighting has become more important to homeowners, new products and even new design "rules" have emerged:
- Know what you want; thousands of fixture styles and a broad range of illuminations are available today.
- Remember that natural looking, less intrusive fixtures are in. Think soft bronzes and refined styling.
- Hide fixtures so they’re not visible during the day; rocks and plants help.
- Leave coils of wire around fixtures so lighting can be adjustable and flexible.
- Find a focal point such as a path or a beautiful tree to highlight.
- Space walkway lights 5 to 8 feet apart.
- Be sure buried wiring is protected from chewing animals.
The days of floodlights on the corners of the home are gone. With all the choices available and decisions to be made, consider tapping into the expertise of a landscape architect, lighting designer or other lighting specialists to make a big impact for relatively little money. And with their help, the job will be safe and professional.
Low-Voltage and Solar Lighting
Learn more about low-voltage and solar lighting fixtures to incorporate when you're remodeling your home on HGTV.com.
Ways to Light Your Outdoor Entryway
Lanterns, sidelights and transom windows are a few choices to illuminate your exterior.
Outdoor Rooms Add Livable Space
Spend less money on vacations and more time with friends and family on your deck or patio.
Outdoor Living Spaces: Ideas for Outdoor Rooms
Learn about options and ideas for outdoor rooms and outdoor living spaces.
Outdoor Landscape Lighting
With carefully placed outdoor lights, you can enjoy the ambiance of your garden into the evening.
Outdoor Lighting Ideas and Options
Grab some great hints for illuminating your outdoor space with these outdoor lighting ideas and options.
Planning Your Outdoor Space
A master plan that incorporates everything from long-range projects to nitty-gritty details will help you design the backyard of your dreams.
Behind the Design at HGTV Dream Home 2016
HGTV Dreams Happen: Sweepstakes Blog » HGTV Dream Home Oct 6, 2015 by Virginia Moon
Stylish + Efficient Appliances for Hard-Working Spaces
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Sep 30, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Bathroom Wallpaper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Sep 17, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Fall Decorating Ideas From HGTV Magazine’s October Issue
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Sep 8, 2015 by Alyssa Sparacino
Go Behind the Scenes of John Colaneri’s HGTV Magazine Shoot
I Heart HGTV Sep 3, 2015 by Alyssa Sparacino
Were You Correct? HGTV Magazine’s Latest High/Low Challenge
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Sep 2, 2015 by Alyssa Sparacino