Maximum Home Value Landscaping Projects: Lawn
An ugly front yard not only brings your home’s value down, but it drags down prices for the neighborhood as well. Learn some simple ways to spruce up your lawn and garden design.
Your lawn is the first thing people see when they approach your home, and regardless about what people say about judging a book by its cover, it’s crucial to make a positive first impression. In buyers’ minds, if you’ve neglected the outside of your home, they can only imagine how bad it is on the inside.
This doesn’t mean you have to spend hundreds of dollars to hire a landscape architect. Simply maintaining a green, healthy, clutter-free yard is enough to add curb appeal and increase your home’s value.
- Green with splashes of color. Healthy, lush lawns are always in vogue. Up the wow factor and create a focal point by grouping a variety of bright-colored flowers in one area.
- Privacy. Homeowners are bringing the outdoors in by creating small fenced privacy areas within a section of their front yards or patios. Many people are also using evergreen plants with thick foliage, like White Pines or Leyland Cypress, to create natural privacy fences.
- Accent pieces. Add character to your lawn with a unique, eye-catching feature, like an interesting group of plantings, fountain or fish pond.
As with any home improvement project, it’s easy to go overboard and blow your budget. Appraisal expert Leslie Sellers advises homeowners to have a long-term landscaping strategy before jumping in. Come up with a master plan and then do pieces at a time, he says.
- On a Budget: Don’t be afraid to get down and dirty. Remove clutter, dead plants and weeds. You can find inexpensive lawn care products at any home improvement store. Maintain and mow your lawn consistently.
- Mid-Range: Have your soil tested for any chemicals needed to promote healthy grass and reseed any bad areas. Consider hiring a professional to treat your lawn with fertilizers or bug killers. Shop around for competitive prices for basic lawn mowing maintenance.
- High-End: In addition to professional treatment and maintenance of your lawn, add attractive features that are standard for your neighborhood, such as an elegant water feature or a designated outdoor area surrounded by evergreens for privacy.
Maximum Home Value Landscaping Projects: Irrigation and Water Features
Water adds another dimension to your landscaping. Install a reliable irrigation system to maintain a healthy lawn or water features to add beauty.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada