How to Replace a Light Switch
Home repair doesn't get much easier. Just follow these step-by-step instructions.
If you're in the market for a light switch, be aware that several types are available. Some dual-pole switches, which control one light from two or more switches, have three or four terminal screws and a ground terminal. Single-pole switches, which control one light from one location, have two terminal screws and a ground terminal. If you're replacing a dual-pole switch, make note of the existing wiring, and if you're at all unsure of how to proceed, hire a licensed electrician to perform the job.
Here's how install a switch yourself:
Materials and Tools:
Remove the old switch
1. Shut off the power at the circuit-breaker box.
2. Remove the cover plate and test the terminals with the circuit tester. If the tester doesn't light up, there's no power going to the switch.
3. Remove the screws that hold the switch in place, and pull the switch from the wall.
4. Loosen the screws holding the wires to the switch, remove the wires, and remove the switch. In newer switches, the wires may go directly into the switch, where they are held in place by clamps inside the switch. These switches usually have a slot into which you can insert a small screwdriver to loosen the clamps.
Install the new switch
1. Begin by bending the end of the ground wire into a small hook, placing the hook over the ground terminal of the switch and tightening it in place.
2. Attach the remaining wires to the terminals and tighten them in the same way. Your new switch may have holes that allow you to insert the wires without using the terminal screws. If so, straighten the wires, press them into the holes as far as they'll go and then tug on them to make sure they're held securely in place.
3. Gently press the switch back into position and secure it in place with screws. Replace the switch cover and turn on the power at the circuit-breaker box.
Adding a Light Fixture to a Ceiling Fan
Enhancing a room's ambiance is as easy as following these step-by-step instructions.
How to Relocate a Ceiling Fixture
If your light's not hitting the right spot, follow these step-by-step instructions.
Installing Under-Cabinet Lighting
Lighting under cabinets can add a dramatic accent to your kitchen or bar.
How To Embellish Party Lights With Colorful Streamers
Take your basic patio lights up a notch with sheer ribbon embellishments. These pretty colors will blow in the summer breeze, making those nighttime BBQs much more festive.
Light Fixtures 101
Nothing affects both the mood and the function of a room quite like lighting does, so consider these 6 tips when deciding what fixtures to buy.
How to Turn an Electrical Outlet
If it's been installed upside down, right it with these instructions.
Maximum Value Mechanical Projects: Electrical
Electrical projects can range from a simple light fixture swap to the more tedious and specific whole-house electric remodel.
Replace a Ceiling Fan in Kitchen
Steve Watson helps a homeowner step-by-step replace the ceiling fan in her kitchen.
Replacing a Fluorescent Light Fixture
Let there be a new light with these step-by-step instructions.
How to Install a Dimmer Switch
Adjust the ambience and save energy with this project.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada