Adding a Light Fixture to a Ceiling Fan
Enhancing a room's ambiance is as easy as following these step-by-step instructions.
Need overhead lighting? It's a cinch with this do-it-yourself project.
Materials and Tools:
ceiling-fan light kit
1. Turn off the electricity to the ceiling fan by switching off the power at the breaker or fuse box. For greatest ease and safety, remove the ceiling fan so you can work on a tabletop rather than standing on a ladder.
2. Remove the screws holding the decorative center plate that hangs below the center of the fan. Remove the plate to expose the wiring.
3. On most fans, once the center plate is removed, dedicated wires for attaching a light fixture will be visible and labeled. There should be two wires: one white and one black. The light assembly should have corresponding black and white wires.
4. Feed the light fixture's black and white wires through the hole in the center plate. Screw the light assembly onto the center plate so that it is firmly attached.
5. Use wire nuts to attach the wires-white to white, and black to black.
6. With the light fixture now wired and attached, reattach the center plate to the body of the fan. Replace the screws that hold the center plate in place.
7. Reinstall the fan onto the ceiling.
Courtesy of DIYnetwork.com
How to Replace a Light Switch
Home repair doesn't get much easier. Just follow these step-by-step instructions.
How to Relocate a Ceiling Fixture
If your light's not hitting the right spot, follow these step-by-step instructions.
Replace a Ceiling Fan in Kitchen
Steve Watson helps a homeowner step-by-step replace the ceiling fan in her kitchen.
Installing Under-Cabinet Lighting
Lighting under cabinets can add a dramatic accent to your kitchen or bar.
Replacing a Fluorescent Light Fixture
Let there be a new light with these step-by-step instructions.
How to Install a Light Fixture
Step-by-step guide on how to install a new light fixture -- no handyman necessary!
Ceiling Beams with Recessed Lights
Watch us define a bachelor's living room and stop it from creeping into the dining room.
Recessed Ceiling Box Lighting
Add architectural detailing and make a small room seem larger with recessed boxes for can lights in the ceiling.
How to Install a Decorative Ceiling Medallion
Add traditional appeal and visual interest to a chandelier or other ceiling fixture with an easy-to-install ceiling medallion.
Light Up Your Cabinets With Rope Lights
Use these simple instructions to install under-cabinet rope lights for an instant kitchen facelift.
Behind the Design at HGTV Dream Home 2016
HGTV Dreams Happen: Sweepstakes Blog » HGTV Dream Home Oct 6, 2015 by Virginia Moon
Stylish + Efficient Appliances for Hard-Working Spaces
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Sep 30, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Bathroom Wallpaper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Sep 17, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Fall Decorating Ideas From HGTV Magazine’s October Issue
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Sep 8, 2015 by Alyssa Sparacino
Go Behind the Scenes of John Colaneri’s HGTV Magazine Shoot
I Heart HGTV Sep 3, 2015 by Alyssa Sparacino
Were You Correct? HGTV Magazine’s Latest High/Low Challenge
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Sep 2, 2015 by Alyssa Sparacino