Adding a Light Fixture to a Ceiling Fan
Enhancing a room's ambiance is as easy as following these step-by-step instructions.
Need overhead lighting? It's a cinch with this do-it-yourself project.
Materials and Tools:
ceiling-fan light kit
1. Turn off the electricity to the ceiling fan by switching off the power at the breaker or fuse box. For greatest ease and safety, remove the ceiling fan so you can work on a tabletop rather than standing on a ladder.
2. Remove the screws holding the decorative center plate that hangs below the center of the fan. Remove the plate to expose the wiring.
3. On most fans, once the center plate is removed, dedicated wires for attaching a light fixture will be visible and labeled. There should be two wires: one white and one black. The light assembly should have corresponding black and white wires.
4. Feed the light fixture's black and white wires through the hole in the center plate. Screw the light assembly onto the center plate so that it is firmly attached.
5. Use wire nuts to attach the wires-white to white, and black to black.
6. With the light fixture now wired and attached, reattach the center plate to the body of the fan. Replace the screws that hold the center plate in place.
7. Reinstall the fan onto the ceiling.
Courtesy of DIYnetwork.com
Light Fixtures 101
Nothing affects both the mood and the function of a room quite like lighting does, so consider these 6 tips when deciding what fixtures to buy.
Faux Capiz Shell Pendant
Beautiful capiz shell pendants add romance, interest and natural beauty to any room. With this DIY tutorial, you can make a capiz pendant to any size using basic household supplies.
How to Relocate a Ceiling Fixture
If your light's not hitting the right spot, follow these step-by-step instructions.
How to Replace a Light Switch
Home repair doesn't get much easier. Just follow these step-by-step instructions.
How-to: Rope-Wrapped Chandelier
The DIY experts at HGTV Magazine recreated this flea market find. Here’s how you can, too.
Designing a Home Lighting Plan
We'll show you the basics, including design ideas, product tips and lighting choices.
Light Fixture Enclosure
Disguise an existing light fixture by building a fabric-covered enclosure for it.
Beading a Chandelier
Create a bedazzling overhead light by beading a chandelier.
Easy Under-Cabinet Kitchen Lighting
Highlight beautiful countertops and brighten dark spaces by adding under-cabinet lighting to your kitchen. With these simple, step-by-step instructions, anyone can install under-cabinet lighting without an electrician.
The Helpful Guide to Holiday Lights
If your lights could talk they’d share these bright ideas for maximizing twinkle and decorating safely.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.