Maximum Home Value Kitchen Projects: Flooring
Redoing your kitchen floors can bring major style and value points to your home. Here, get expert tips and ideas.
Flooring may not be top of mind when you think of the kitchen, but floors play a crucial part in tying the look of the room together. When upgrading your kitchen floor, coordinate with your appliances, countertops and cabinets to add real value.
Kitchen floors take a beating, from hours of standing, foot traffic and spills, so when weighing your options, consider durability and ease of maintenance as well as style and cost. From vinyl to ceramic tile, floors come in all styles and patterns for any budget.
- Style under foot. Linoleum is a common material due to its affordability, ease of installation and green appeal. But homeowners looking for a more custom look can choose from a vast array of materials, such as ceramic, wood, laminate, rubber, concrete and natural stone. Imitation ceramic and vinyl floors offer style without the maintenance and hassle of shattered fallen dishes.
- Eco-friendly floors. Bamboo and cork are popular green options. Learn more about environmentally friendly flooring.
Some homeowners will go DIY to save money but end up causing more problems, says appraisal expert Leslie Sellers. Unless you know what you’re doing and have the right tools, consider having your floors professionally installed.
- On a Budget: If you need to update your flooring immediately, linoleum and vinyl tiles are inexpensive, easy to install and come in a variety of patterns.
- Mid-Range: Laminate floors are durable, affordable and can mimic the look of upscale materials like wood, stone and marble.
- High-End: Depending on your budget and kitchen design, natural stone and hardwood floors are popular upscale options. Hardwood gives a warm feel to a kitchen and is easy on the feet, while stone offers an elegant look.
Maximum Home Value Kitchen Projects: Countertops and Sinks
Countertops set the tone for the entire kitchen, so using stylish, updated materials easily adds major value to your home.
Copy This Room: 7 Stylish Dorm Room Decorating Ideas
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Jul 27, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
The Votes Are In! Tour This Tiny + Charming Cottage
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Jul 23, 2015 by Farima Alavi
What’s Your Yard Art Spirit Animal? Take the Quiz!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Jul 22, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
10 Minute DIY: Upcycle Glass Bottles Into Citronella Torches
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Jul 22, 2015 by Chelsea Faulkner
Can I Come In? Yes! Step Inside Some of NYC’s Quirkiest Spaces
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Jul 21, 2015 by Liz Gray
Where Everybody Knows Your Name: An Extraordinary Kitchen with a Welcoming Pub Vibe
I Heart HGTV Jul 20, 2015 by David L. Haynes