Man-Made vs. Natural Materials
Check out these man-made materials that mimic the look of natural materials without the cost and maintenance.
Man-made materials that mimic the look of natural materials can expand your decorating options without the cost and maintenance of natural materials. Here are some things you should know before you buy:
- Natural stones such as marble, limestone and granite need to be sealed regularly, and because they’re soft, they scratch easily.
- Stone tiles average two to three times the price of ceramic tiles and cost twice as much to install.
- Ceramic tiles hold up well to traffic and moisture once they’re properly grouted and sealed. They will also have a more uniform color than natural stone.
- Solid surface materials can give the look of a slab without the grout headaches. The color goes all the way through the material, so scratches can be buffed out, and the sink can be integrated seamlessly. The price of solid surface is comparable to the price of many natural stones.
- Cultured marble is a man-made marble that costs a half or a third less than solid surface. You can have an integral bowl and backsplash with no seam as with solid surface, but the color doesn’t go all the way through the material.
- Vinyl and laminate manufacturers are producing products that closely imitate the look of wood. They cost much less and are much easier to maintain.
Choosing Eco-Friendly Carpet
Select healthier options when it comes to flooring choices.
Fish Pendulum Clock
Libby Hodges makes a whimsical fish pendulum clock.
How to Make a Ceramic Planter
Make a ceramic pot and paint for a pop of color.
How to Make a Glass Mosaic Dog Mirror
Follow these steps to make a dog-themed, stained glass mosaic mirror.
How to Install Tin Ceiling Tiles
Get the look of 1920's glamour on your ceiling with unbelievably real-looking fake tin tiles.
Design Your Own Watercolor Plates
Create summer-perfect customized plates with porcelain paints and simple instructions. The bright colors and whimsical floral motifs will add vintage-inspired color to your table.
Choosing Low- or No-VOC Paints
Innovations provide environmentally beneficial and cost-effective alternatives.
Flooring Buyer's Guide
Given the wide array of flooring options available, you're bound to find one that fits your lifestyle and budget. Learn about 10 popular flooring types to find your match.
$100 Half-Day Designs: Mosaic Mirror
Customize a boring mirror with unique and colorful mosaic tiles.
Patio Materials and Surfaces
Learn about the different options for patio materials and surfaces.
Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest trends and expert advice delivered to your inbox.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.