Basement Waterproofing Products and Systems
Waterproofing a basement requires not only the right approach, but choosing the products that will do the job. Learn more about basement waterproofing products with this guide.
There are several products that can keep your basement dry and free from water damage or seepage, including acrylic and liquid floor coatings.
Acrylic coating can be used as a sealant for the interior of a basement or on the exterior of a home that has foundation walls that are above ground. The coating can easily be painted or sprayed onto block or stucco walls. Tuffcrete is one waterproofing product that is acrylic based.
Liquid rubber coating is easily painted onto basement surfaces and is ideal for waterproofing a home that is frequently exposed to flooding or wet conditions. Liquid rubber sealants, like "Rubberize It!," bond to most construction materials and can serve as not only a way to waterproof a basement, but repair a leaky roof or a crack in a garden fountain.
Another popular sealant is Drylok, a waterproofing product that works on several surfaces, including concrete blocks, stucco, brick and retaining walls. Drylok is applied to the walls of a basement similarly to how one would apply paint to the walls of a home. Just like paint, Drylock can have a strong odor, meaning there should be adequate ventilation when applying the product. A second coat may be required.
Companies like B-Dry also provide products to waterproof a basement. Their sealer panels cover cracks and defects in basement walls.
See also: Preventing Basement Moisture
- Basement Waterproofing Options
- Damp, Wet Basement Causes and Solutions
- Water In the Basement: Causes and Solutions for Flooded Basements
- Basement Waterproofing Costs
- Waterproofing Basement and Crawlspace Foundations
- French Drains for Basements
- Basement Design and Layout
- High-Fashion Entertainment Room
- Basement Systems Check
- Wood Flooring In the Basement
- Add Style to Your Finished Basement
- Subfloor Options for Basements