Presto Pesto! An Easy Pesto Recipe
Whip up this pesto and then freeze it to enjoy fresh basil taste all year long.
As the memory of summer fades and cooler temperatures arrive, we say goodbye to our outdoor basil. If you are looking for a way to keep that amazing pesto around for the winter months, you may want to consider freezing it. These simple steps will have you in the ‘green’ in no time… and the ‘you’ enjoying home grown pesto pasta in January will thank the ‘you’ that took the time to freeze it now.
We’ve included our favorite pesto recipe, but you can use your own if you wish.
Basic Basil Pesto
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 cups basil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup good extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a food processor, grind nuts and garlic for about 20 seconds.
- Add basil, salt, and pepper. Chop again until basil is finely chopped.
- While food processor is still going slowly pour in olive oil until paste begins to form.
- Add Parmesan cheese. Give just a few more pulses to incorporate.
Make that pesto last with this step-by-step guide to making frozen pesto cubes: