Suburban-Home Master Bedroom Makeover
Heather and Burt Mulford need help getting their bedroom uncluttered and organized.
- More from Mission: Organization
Filed under: Room Design, Organization, Master Bedrooms, Decluttering, Storage, Entertainment Centers
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Some of Liz's tips to help the Mulfords get organized include the following:
- Store picture negatives in an airtight bag in a different place from photo albums, like a parent's basement. If anything happens to the photo album (fire, flood, etc.), the pictures can be reproduced.
- When sorting medicine, check for expiration dates and then sort by use: cold medicines, creams and ointments and bandages, for example.
- Think twice about hanging on to paperbacks. Once read, they are best donated or recycled to a used bookstore.
- Keep a clear bin in the kids' closets for outgrown clothes. Once the clothes have gone through the wash, instead of putting them away, just toss them in the bin.
- Carefully asses the clothes in dresser drawers for things that can go into long-term storage.
- Keep a "to-go" box of important papers (things like birth certificates, marriage license and insurance) that can be grabbed quickly in case of fire. The box can look like an attractive accessory. It should be kept in a convenient spot.
Liz brought in a few key pieces to help this couple get started cleaning up their clutter.
The tall dresser and bookcase have been replaced with this entertainment unit that hides cords and clutter.
Gone is the massive desk and in its place is a smaller corner desk that hides components and has a place for supplies.
A built-in storage system will bring order to the closet and eliminate the need for a dresser in the bedroom.
Products from Stacks and Stacks:
Scarlet/Denim Cathy chair
Espresso brown bookcase and armoire
Products from Sure Fit:
18" banded pillow
Products from Smith & Noble:
Canvas Brick Tab Top curtains
Black wrought-iron rods
Products from Storage Decor:
fabric-covered boxes, FCB Provance
Products from The Container Store:
Espresso Pandan storage stools
deep sweater box
Mocha Makati magazine baskets
White storage boxes
Natural extra-large magazine file
Techno Pneumatic lift chair
Sage small lined Makati baskets
compartment drawer organizers
Products from hangers.com:
Products from Bellacor:
Sturbridge table lamp
wrought-iron table lamps
Products from QVC:
Caramelized Espresso floor lamp
Products from Lillian Vernon:
Maize storage trunks
Products from Schulte Corp.:
freedomRail closet system
Sherwin-Williams paint colors used:
SW 2860 Sage for (wall color)
SW 2829 Classical White (trim color)
See how a boring master bedroom is transformed into a very cozy space.
Host Joan Steffend and designer Barbara Sculati take a boring bedroom and give it some style with beautiful fabrics and rich...(7 photos)
Teal walls disappear forever in this romantic room makeover that includes a two-part paint finish, lamp ideas and more.Advertisement
HGTV Inspiration Newsletter