Getting the Home Office In Order
Professional organizer Vicki Norris helps Tracy and Brian McEvoy rid their home office of clutter and turns the room into a sleek and efficient space.
Filed under: Office Organization, Room Design, Home Offices, Organization, Desks, Storage, Shelves, Color
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
After: Functional Workspaces
Sleek new matching desk furniture, an efficient organizational system for desktops and paperwork, a new reception area and a different color of paint for each area add up to an inviting adult space that is as beautiful as it is functional.
Brian's new workspace is located in front of the large arched window. Deep red and gold walls add a masculine look and help define his space.
Tracy's office, painted a soft green, is tucked in front of a window. It has a wonderful new system for filing papers and plenty of space for preparing her products.
An old table once used as a desk is now a work surface located between the two office areas so it can be used easily by Brian or Tracy.
This workstation, with its ample storage and desk surfaces, can now accommodate Brian and his accountant easily and efficiently.
A rustic old hutch is used to display Tracy's products in her new office area.
Some of Vicki Norris's tips for getting your office organized include the following:
- Itemize items that are being donated and then put them in the car, where their constant presence will be a big motivator to drop them off.
- Don't keep working files and papers in bags because you can’t see what is in them and they could get lost or forgotten.
- When reorganizing, take everything out of the space and put items back sparingly after careful evaluation.
- Look at items with an eye to repurposing them. For example, a trunk was moved into position as storage for rolled-up blueprints, and a day bed was redecorated as a couch to create a reception area.
- Donate computers to a local school, or do a web search to find an organization in your area that could use it. Be sure to erase the hard drive of any personal information.
Sherwin-Williams paint colors used:
Cajun Red, flat SW0008
Empire Gold, cashmere SW0012
Sheraton Sage, flat SW0014
Products from Restoring Order:
five-tray paper sorter for the Action centers
bleachered file stand for the Project centers
four-drawer supply organizer used underneath project center and monitor for the Essentials centers
Rubbish Bins (garbage cans)
Journal Cases (magazine holders)
Debra Jackson calls in professional organizer Mia Stickel to turn her space into a working office.
Home offices don't have to look like the traditional office space. Therese Jett-Lim discusses the latest trends in creating a...
If you think it's impossible to live in a small studio apartment, try living and working from your 600-square-foot home. That's...Advertisement
HGTV Inspiration Newsletter