Create a simple garden vignette like this one in a single weekend.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Project time: 10 hours
Materials and Tools:
Standard gardening tools
Large ceramic pot (for water garden)
Round and square steppingstones
Tiki torches (optional)
Foo dogs (optional)
- The first step in creating your garden is to prepare the area. Begin by designating the area to plant and marking the outline with spray paint.
- Remove grass and prepare the soil with a spade or by tilling.
- With spray paint, outline areas for walkways and water garden.
- Install steppingstones for pathway.
- Note: Plants used in this garden are tolerant of a Southeastern climate. Check your local nurseries or home centers for plants that are compatible for your climate.
The following plants are used in this garden :
- Mexican fan palm (Washingtonia robusta), which produces fruit at maturity
Banana plants are also characteristic of an exotic garden. The large leaves provide wonderful contrast in texture, size and color. Bananas can be tender in some climates, and windy areas can result in tattered leaves.
The following bananas are used in our demonstration:
- Pink fruiting banana (Musa velutina), which has been known to survive cold temperatures and regrow
The rest of the garden is planted with the following:
- Cut-leaf philodendron (Philodendron selloum), which has interesting air roots that can be trimmed away or left for interest
- Canna (Canna X generalis) (can be separated into additional plants by breaking apart weak areas of the root system using your hands)
- Tropicanna (tm) canna (Canna indica 'Phaison')
When all the plantings are completed, mulch the garden area to ensure that the plants retain moisture.
Don't let plant names fool you. Some names have nothing to do with their species or location of origin.