Everything You Need to Know About Roses
Learn more about the flower that has inspired poets, painters, gardeners and crafters alike.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Tricks to Extend the Life of Your Roses
Here are the basics for successful rose gardening:
- Sun — 6-8 hours of sun each day
- Water — give a daily drink of water but don't drown them
- Fertilizer — good well-balanced fertilizer twice a year
- Selection — The most important thing is to select a rose that will thrive in your climate. Albas, for instance, are likely to survive coolest winters and are very tough when it comes to drought and shade.
You can make new roses by crossing one rose variety with another. Here's how:
1. Designate a pollen parent and a seed parent.
2. Take pollen from the pollen parent and apply it to the stigmas of the female seed parent with a paintbrush.
3. If it takes, in about three months the rose hip swells and ripens.
4. Take the hip off, open it up, get the seeds out and plant them in little peat pots. Then you've got new baby roses. In about a year, you'll get your first bloom.
Photos by Charles Brooks
Modern patio roses bloom for many months and allow gardeners with limited space to enjoy their color and fragrance. Look for...
Unless we're digging in the yard or garden, we usually don't run across earthworms, but these tubular critters are Mother...(4 photos)
Follow these tips and you will be laying brick like a pro in no time.(video 02:16)