Tips for creating a spooky garden.
- By Susan Morgan, HGTV.com
Filed under: Halloween Decorating, Holiday Decorating, Plants, Halloween, Gardening, Decorating, Flowers
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Trick or treat
Not everything outdoors has to be creepy. Go with a more fun-loving perspective in your Halloween celebration. Try pansy 'Trick or Treat Mixture Improved' (annual), Gladiolus dalenii 'Halloweenie' (USDA Zones 7 to 9) and candy corn cuphea (Cuphea micropetala, USDA Zones 8 to 10) (figure H).
Year-round creepy garden
Want a "creepy" garden all year long? Try these other options that look their best at other times of the year:
- spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum, houseplant) (Are tarantulas deadly?)
- Crocosmia 'Lucifer' (USDA Zones 5 to 9)
- oriental/trumpet Lilium 'Yelloween' (USDA Zones 4 to 9)
- begonia 'Little Miss Mummy' (houseplant)
- ornamental pepper 'Medusa' and 'Black Pearl' (annual)
- devil's backbone (Pedilanthus tithymaloides, USDA Zones 9b to 11, houseplant)
- Kniphofia 'Cobra' (USDA Zones 6 to 10)
- green dragon (Arisaema dracontium, USDA Zones 4 to 9)
- hardy geranium 'Tiny Monster' (USDA Zones 4 to 8)
- daylily 'Bela Lugosi' (USDA Zones 4 to 9)
- coleus 'Electric Pumpkin,' 'Fright Night' and 'Murder Suspect' (annual/houseplant)
- Alchemilla mollis 'Thriller' (USDA Zones 4 to 7)
- Pulmonaria 'Dark Vader' (USDA Zones 4 to 8)
- Echinacea purpurea 'Fatal Attraction' (USDA Zones 4 to 9)
- Echinacea 'Doppelganger' (also called 'Doubledecker,' USDA Zones 3 to 8)
- Eryngium giganteum 'Silver Ghost' (also called 'Miss Willmott's Ghost,' USDA Zones 4 to 7)
- Hippeastrum 'Voodoo' (USDA Zones 7b to 10)
- voodoo bulb (Sauromatum venosum, also Typhonium venosum, USDA Zones 6 to 10)
- Colocasia esculenta 'Black Magic' (USDA Zones 7 to 10)
Interior designer Susanne Hudson lists her favorite plants in her 3-1/3-acre garden.
Tina Marzell would like a lush and colorful place to spend her time outdoors instead of the worn and dusty backyard she has bow.
Scott and Sheila Porter's new house is perfect -- except for the chilly master bathroom. See how Krista Watterworth and Marc...(2 photos)Advertisement
HGTV Inspiration Newsletter