A cluttered sunroom is refreshed with contemporary accents and comfortable furniture.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
To freshen up the mantel, design coordinator Charles Burbridge creates a new one to fit over the existing slate mantel.
Wicker furniture from a thrift shop gets a new lease on life with a simple repair job from Burbridge, using supplies from a wicker-supply store. Also, Snijders gives the pieces a coat of black paint for a contemporary twist on traditional painted wicker.
How-To: Wicker Furniture Refurbish
- First, soak a bundle of caning in warm water for at least 15 minutes.
- Next, cut a length that will fill the exposed area. Make sure to cut off more than you think you need.
- Lay the caning in lengthwise from top to bottom and then wrap the area from bottom to top.
- Once the area is filled, leave a couple of extra inches of caning to tuck in behind the wrapped portion.
- As the caning dries it will tighten and will not be noticeable after the piece is painted.
Wicker Furniture - $175 (thrift store)
Lighting - $150
- floral baskets (Lowe's)
- lighting kits
Console Tables - $66 (IKEA - Ingo, 11814)
Fabric - $60
- custom Roman shades (sheets: Macy's)
- wall art backdrops (fabric: Jo-Ann Fabrics - Dried herb 7280225)
Wall Art - $125
- framed photography (prints: Cost Plus World Market - 000000367199; frames: IKEA - Ribba, 50014976)
- art lights
Mantel Makeover - $200
- fire screen (Target: Home - 085100081)
- fireplace tools (Target: Home - 085100098)
Accessories - $220
- candles, storage boxes, baskets, rug (HomeGoods)
- wicker lamps (Wal-Mart: lampshade - Home, 070299280277; lamp: Home - 070299280840)
Project Total - $996
Carter Oosterhouse shares advice on finding new uses for old furniture, and taking advantage of a sunny patio.
A neutral beige sunroom gets an update when the colors of a summer barbeque are brought indoors. See the transformation that a...(2 photos)
An awkward floor plan complete with posts and cinder blocks is resituated into an elegant living room.(7 photos)